Saturday, January 9, 2016

MidState Trail, Wachusett Meadow to Barre Falls Dam

I've actually hiked on the Mid State Trail before, from Wachusett Meadow to Crow Hill. So now I've done Crow Hill to Barre Falls Dam. Only thing is I have no idea how far that is! The Mid State trail crosses MA. Not surprisingly, it goes through the middle of the state, North/South. The entire trail is 92 miles, and I believe I've now hiked about 22 of it. I could do the whole trail!

Today's hike was supposed to be at 9:30, but some bozo (i.e. me) was a half hour late. The directions really sucked, and I put the road into the GPS, and got to a Barre Falls Dam, but it wasn't the correct one. I finally figured out that I had to keep going straight on this sketchy, dirt, snow covered road to get to the correct spot. I was scared in my little Honda Civic. I got to the parking place just as the group was about to leave!

It's a pretty flat hike. Some rolling hills, some ups, some downs, some walking on roads when you aren't allowed on private property. It had just snowed, so I got to use my micro spikes again - totally awesome! My feet must be just the right size for them, because I can put mine on and take them off a lot easier than everyone else. Lots of streams and pine forest, a few water crossings. It was a good hike!  I was totally "in the zone" for most of it, even when my feet and legs were killing at the end.

The hike was advertised as "almost 10 miles." According to my fitbit, we went about 12 miles. I pushed the button to count heart rate and calories and all for the trek, but something went wrong and it didn't work. I looked at it at about 2 hours and everything was fine. But then a little later it wasn't computing the workout. I wonder if there's a time limit on it? It wound up being a pretty long hike, we started at about 10:30 and finished at about 4. There were a few breaks to layer and de-layer, put on and take off microspikes, and one slightly longer pause to eat a little, but mostly we hiked the entire time! Probably almost 5 hours. And, though it was just rolling hilly, I looked at my fitbit a few times and my pulse was at like 140. Other times it was like 110, but probably mostly in that range.

Next weekend I'm signed up for a backpack trip, camping overnight. It's supposed to be really cold, so I'm not sure if I'll wimp out - it's only a 3 mile hike in, so I could bring lots of stuff. But still...

No comments:

Post a Comment