Monday, January 16, 2017

Mt. Wachusett

I went on a winter hike yesterday with a couple new friends from climbing. Lesson #1, don't hike with anyone who runs marathons. Lesson #2, I am still a wimp.

Mt. Wachusett is a pretty small mountain, which is a really good thing. One of the women who I was hiking with, as I mentioned, runs marathons. She hikes fast. I still do not. By the end I gave up on trying to keep up and decided to just hike my own hike. And, I remembered why I usually hike alone.  The two women are both very nice, but I didn't get my usual nature fix because there was a lot of talking, and I was all stressed about keeping up.

It was seriously icy out, much of the hike was fine with microspikes, but a couple times I wished a little bit for ice crampons. I'm not sure if I would have done any better with them, but I'm considering getting some so I can get back out there in the next couple months. Even if it's just once or twice this winter, they are durable so I would have them for many years to come. And I don't want to hike way up in NH without them.

I'm finally in my research classes for my doctorate. I've noticed that the ideas come better when I'm not just sitting on my couch trying to force them. I went for a walk earlier today and made some progress on what I want to be doing. But, it's slow. I guess I have to do some more hiking. Like, the entire AT. I wonder how reliable the internet connection will be there? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment