Saturday, May 28, 2016

Mt. Tecumseh

Some days I think I'm just a very grumpy person. I mean, the Egg Salad Sandwich People planned the hike, and they did all the work, and all I had to do was show up.

But, we were supposed to get there at 11:30 and we didn't start hiking until 12:20. And then we had to stop and introduce ourselves for like the 5th time, which was killing me. To make up for it, we ran up the mountain at a killer pace for a while, then we slowed down, then stopped A LOT!  A few times I was kind of ready to scream we waited for so long. And then jogged, because someone pointed out that we were kind of going fast running (so we only jogged).  And, it was 85 degrees and humid, and there were black flies.  I think we rested at the top for 45 minutes, and there were so many black flies, and almost no view. On the way down I was lagging a little behind, trying to be one with nature, and this leader guy felt sorry for me and decided to walk with me and talk about nothing and keep me company.

I have the beginner backpack next weekend, and I think that's gotta be it. I just can't hike with them. There are too many in every group, and people do a 5 mile day hike with a full backpack. And it brings out the grump in me, instead of hiking making me a more zen person, like it's supposed to. I think I just need to be a solo hiker.

Tecumseh was a nice hike, besides the heat, bugs and my grumpiness. It was pretty slow and gradual for the first part, and then a lot of up hill with rocks. There were a lot of rock stairs, which made everything easier.

They were good egg salad sandwiches, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment