Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Walden - Half mile without stopping!

Today was actually pretty cold. It looked nice out, but it was about 53 degrees out. I was excited because today was the second to last day that I had to go into work until August. Tomorrow is the last. I'm eager to get this going-to-work business over with, and just work from the comforts of my couch office.

My office is always super hot, and it's been warm out lately, so I wore a sleeveless dress. I went to take a walk at lunch, but it was windy and cold, so I went back inside. My plan had been for a Walden swim, but I decided to wait until tomorrow when it's supposed to be warmer and sunnier and not windy. But, when I got to my car, google said it would take over an hour to get home, and I just didn't want to sit in traffic for that long, so I went to Walden.

I realized on my way over that I didn't have a change of pants, which was a disappointment. I thought about bagging it again, but the traffic was so unappealing. I've put some pants in the trunk of my car for the future, though.

Anyhow, I got to the pond and there weren't that many people there. Even though it was windy out, the pond is pretty protected, so though the water wasn't smooth it wasn't too wavy. I changed at the beach, and got in. It was feeling cold! I'm sure it's in the 60's, but I got in and didn't want to put my face in, and wasn't sure that I was going to be able to do a long swim. But then I started swimming and it felt just fine.

The exciting thing from today was that I swam the entire way across without stopping! At first I was focusing on my stroke, trying to keep my arm up and then roll it around an imaginary barrel. Then I did a little singing along with my tunes on my headphones - in my head only, of course, because of the whole breathing thing. Then, I realized I was about half way across, and I thought maybe I could make it the whole way, and I did! I got to the cove, gave myself a little pat on the back, and then headed back. On the way back I had to stop a few times - I think the water was blowing in my mouth in that direction.

I made it back, dried off, put on my underware, and then flashed the beach a little changing back into my dress. It was pretty empty - the only people there seemed like they weren't from the US, so I hoped that it wasn't that unusual for them.

I've been participating in a clinical trial, and I went yesterday for shot #3. Not only do I get the shots, but also they pay me for it. I've been kind of wanting a scooter since DC, and I decided today that I should use the $ to get one. I found a $500 scooter for $335 (I think it's last year's model - it's got good ratings) and I was able to buy it with my clinical trial money! I didn't realize I had that much on the card. I should get the scooter tomorrow, and I'm excited to ride it to the garden instead of putzing along in traffic in my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment