Monday, May 29, 2023

Mt Morgan and Percival

It's Memorial Day weekend, a traditional weekend for me to do a hike. I was going to go on Sunday, but then it was so hot out, and I read the trail reviews and everyone said it was buggy out, and I just couldn't stand the thought of hot and buggy. So, I went to parkour and then planted stuff in my garden on Sunday and hiked today. 

It was still hot and buggy, and I had to deal with traffic on the way home. But, not too bad because Morgan and Percival aren't too far away - less than two hours without traffic, a little more with traffic. And it was way less hot then yesterday.

For whatever reason, last night I couldn't sleep - I finally gave up at like 1 am and watched some TV, which thankfully knocked me out. I knew it was about 4 hours of driving and 4 hours of hiking, so I slept in a little, but still only got like 5 hours of sleep. I hate it when I do that - I wish I was a better sleeper.

I knew just how to get to the parking lot, because I had written directions out in my blog the last time I did the hike (thanks, past me!) The start of the hike was nice, but also super buggy. Thankfully I had some deet, which I don't usually wear but today really needed. The hike up was good - there were a few points where I was breathing hard, but not so hard. A group of six 20 something guys passed me - 3 first and then 3 more a little later. We met up at the ladders (which looked exactly the same as when I climbed it last time) and one of the guys offered me a hand. Sweet, but also, I can climb a ladder dude! Then I climbed through the cave and up the stone faster than their group. Ha!

I remembered the last time that there was a nice ledge to sit on and eat, but I skipped it and then regretted it. This time I didn't make that mistake again - I sat and ate half a cheese and avocado sandwich on whole wheat bread, corn nuts and an orange while enjoying the view and lack of bugs in the breeze. After a little bit I went and tagged the peak, and then walked the ridgeline - again really like it! I finished the other half of the sandwich and then took the cliff trail down. 

The first little bit of the cliff trail was really nice - good view. But, that was all. The cave trail was way better. If I do this hike again I will definitely do cave. I walked back into the bug zone, and then back to my car where I changed my shoes but didn't do anything else because I wanted to get away from the bug zone. Nice hike again, glad that I did the shorter hike (due to bugs) and the shorter drive (due to traffic). I was pleased to see that I was faster this time than last, though the last time I spent a while trying to fine the trail to the caves.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment