Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Working on my swim stroke

My one mile swim race is in just 6.5 weeks, so it's time to get serious about training! I went to the Y to practice my stroke in a controlled setting, where I didn't have to worry about cold or current. I really practiced my breathing drills on both sides, doing the bad side first. I also tried doing regular, bilateral breathing, swimming with fins on, which was really helpful. It got me moving my legs more correctly, and I moved faster. I understand in theory that when you are swimming there should be a little pocket of air when you come up to breathe, and when I was moving with the fins I actually found it a few times! It was pretty awesome.

One thing that I noticed is that I have a hard time keeping my arm forward when I breathe on my good side - it always seems to trail down, which I think makes my stroke shorter and weaker. And maybe is why I don't swim in a straight line? I'm going to have to do a lot of practice on this for the race - you only have 40 minutes to swim a mile, and it would be a bummer to be pulled on my third every swim race.

No comments:

Post a Comment