Sunday, May 28, 2017

Tripyramids

There are three Tripyramids, North, Middle and South, but only North and Middle count as 4000 footers, South is a sub-peak of Middle because it's not enough loss and gain from North. When I saw it when I was hiking, I was like "WFT? Who makes these rules? That's a *&^%ing mountain!" But then it turned out not to be so bad. I have to remind myself next year that it's not necessary to start spring hiking with an 11 mile, three peak hike. It was brutal!

The hike is a little unique in that it's 2.5 miles up an old logging road to start and end. So, 5 miles of the hike are on a well graded road. I think that's what tricked me into thinking it would be a good idea. After the access road, you hike up a trail that's pretty uphill, but not bad. Then, BOOM, it's like you're rock climbing! The real uphill (and later downhill) are rockslides. The North one in particular, is super slabby and a little sketchy in some places. And, relentless. I think it was about a half mile, and it took me like an hour. For the most part it was actually kind of fun, it was like climbing, but more exhausting, and no ropes. I got to the top of the rock slide and I was pooped. I sat and ate a bag of pistachios that I had left in my bag from last year.

Apparently you are never alone at the top of a rock slide, either. There was a guy who climbs too, a woman with a really loud and squeaky voice, and a mom and son. The view was really nice, but I had started a little late, left home at 8, started hiking at 10:20, and didn't want to be out past dark. Plus the squeaky woman was annoying.

The first peak, North Tripyramid, had pretty much no view, but I was super exciting to get to the top and go down hill for a little bit! Going down and up from North to Middle was tough. Middle was a long way up! And I was super hungry. I though about sitting down and eating right there, but I was glad I waited in the end, the view was limited from Middle, but pretty awesome still. A couple came by with a really nice dog that wanted to eat my cheese sandwich (dogs do like cheese sandwiches). There was no way that dog was getting any! I made provolone on a challah roll, and it was warm enough outside that the cheese was a little melty. It was so good!  Another hiker came along as well and was showing me this crazy route that he was doing. Although, he wasn't doing the slides, so who's the crazy one?  He came up the other side of the mountain from the Kanc.

I did the last Tripyramid, and it was pretty cool to be able to see the other two mountains, and know that I had done them.  At the top of the South slide there was a really nice view, so I sat and had a power bar and admired for about 20 min. The slide down was also hard, though not as hard as up. There was a lot of loose skree, which I don't love, so it was slow going, with a lot of butt scooting. I was thinking that my butt was my 5th limb for part of the way. I was pretty psyched to get down. I was also happy to get down because I had stupidly not packed enough water, and I needed to filter more.

After filtering the rest was just a stroll down to the parking lot (well, a 3.5 or so mile stroll). I did step on something funky and rolled my ankle, but I think it's OK. This couple was behind me and catching up, and I turned and saw them, but they didn't say anything, or pass me, which sketched me out. But later they passed me, and they were cool. I couldn't stop singing "The Bear and The Maiden Fair" from GoT for the last mile or so because it was getting dark, and I get nervous about bears as dusk comes; but that may not be the best song.... I thought I saw the parking lot, but it was just a big intersection, which was really sad. But then the intersection was about 5 minutes more walking!

I got in my car, took off my smelly shoes, and left. On the way to the highway I stopped for ice cream. They only had three flavors, so I got maple walnut. It had ice crystals in it, like when it's melted and refrozen. And I ate it all anyhow. Then I stopped at the rest area and was like the last customer before it closed! I got a burger and sweet potato fries and shoveled that burger in my mouth like a pig!

Tomorrow it's supposed to rain, and I'm not leaving my couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment