Friday, March 31, 2017

Mt. Kearsarge North


I went with my friend Karen up to North Conway for a couple days (which actually turned out to be just over one day because there's a storm coming, and we wanted to get back before driving got awful). We hiked Mt. Kearsarge North, which is not a 4000 footer at all, so I made the mistake of thinking it would be easy. WRONG! Although it's only a 3000 something footer, the trail gains 2600 feet, is 3.1 miles, and with loosely packed snow on it is hard.  That's longer and more elevation gain than some 4000 footers. For the last hour of the hike we kept thinking we were almost at the top, but then there was more trail. Brutal.

On the bright side, it was a perfect bluebird day! The sky was so blue and there wasn't a single cloud. It was warm enough to hike in my winter athleta tights, ninja hoodie, and a t-shirt. But there was still snow on the ground. It was just gorgeous out!  Since it was a Thursday, there weren't a lot of people out hiking. We were alone at the top. There's a fire tower at the top, and it's a really nice one. It's one you can go inside, with windows on all four sides and this view of Mt. Washington and the Prezi traverse (which I reminded myself I hiked) and all around the valley. So nice. Karen made some kind of vegan balls that were brown and delicious. So we ate and relaxed for a while. It took 2 1/2 hours to get to the top and about 2 hours to get down.

Today my calves are killing me!


No comments:

Post a Comment