Sunday, September 18, 2022

Oru Kayak!

I've really been missing kayaking and paddleboarding for the last couple of years. The place that I used to belong to was on a reservation system during COVID, which TBH was a bit of a pain, so I didn't join. I've been seeing a lot of Oru kayaks at the lake, and they look so easy to fold and unfold, and small enough to fit in my little city apartment. I finally decided to go for it when they were on sale, and I bought a Oru Lake +. It arrived today, and I am really happy with the purchase! 

When it came I did a practice unfold and fold in the living room; which was definitely scary for the cats. Which, I was OK with, because I don't want them scratching it. Even the first time it was so easy to fold and unfold, and I assume it will get easier with practice. I then decided to take it to the Mystic River for a little outing, and it was super fun! 

I will say it's not the sleekest, fastest kayak. But, I'm not the sleekest/fastest person, so it was fine. It set up quickly, was super easy to get in the water, and you can actually fit a lot in with you since it's so open! I went up river for about a half hour and then came back - it was super fun. I even like the paddle (which, I feel like is so touch and go for many of these boats. 

After I got it out of the water, I had to figure out how to dry it and where to store it - that was the trickiest part. It came in a nice big cardboard box, and for now I have the box in my closet with the kayak in it so that the cats can't get at it. I think I could store it in the trunk of my car if I didn't have so much crap in it, but I would hate for it to get stolen... After I put it in the closet I filled a bag for donation - it's big enough that I felt like I needed to get rid of a lot to balance it out!

I'm really excited to take it to some areas that I haven't been kayaking before and to stretches of the rivers/lakes that aren't highly traveled!

No comments:

Post a Comment