Monday, September 19, 2022

YMCA

Today I joined the YMCA. I've been thinking that I should join so that I can continue swimming over the winter because I don't want to lose all that I've learned over the summer. I looked at a bunch of places with pools, but there's no comparison with the Y because #1 it's only a half mile away and #2 it's like 1/4 the cost of the other places with pools. I went for my first swim today and was reminded of why it's so cheap.

The current building was built in 1904, and it really looks like it! The pool is in the basement and there's a lion head fountain at the end of one of the lanes - no water coming out of it. The place is a labyrinth - you need a map to figure out how to get around it. Seriously, there's a map on the lady's locker door. I used it to find the aerobic room (and it was still tricky). There's an indoor track also - you only have to run 29 laps (without falling into the basketball court below - the thing is pretty slanty) to run a mile :)

Anyhow, it is actually pretty clean in the locker rooms, and the pool is also clean looking and 20 yards - so not much shorter than a typical pool. The last time that I went swimming in the pool at this Y, I could do about 2 laps without stopping. Today I swam for a half hour with only a few short stops! It was awesome! I felt so accomplished. I didn't count how many laps I did, but according to my fitbit I swam almost a mile. It was a little easier than in the lake, because every time I turned I could push off the wall.

As I was getting into the pool I was reminded of the last time I was there, when the lifeguard walked back and forth, following me as I swam - like I was in imminent danger of drowning. Today, I was all "that won't happen now!" and I got all overconfident. Which, whenever I do that, fate has a way of reminding me that I'm not all that. I got water up my nose getting into the pool and couldn't stop coughing. Some guy offered me water from his bottle and I actually drank some. He'd obviously been drinking from it - hope he's healthy.

Anyhow, the swimming part went well, I practiced my technique. I think I may need a few lessons to do better, which happily they offer. Anyhow, even though I smelled like chlorine after, I'm glad that I joined. I think it will be a good way to get some aerobic exercise this winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment