Thursday, May 26, 2022

Walden Pond Swim!

We had a work retreat today out in the boonies. I was a little sad to have to drive 45 minutes on one of my "not driving" days, but on the way there I realized that I was going right past Walden Pond, and I could stop on the way home for a swim! Fortunately I had brought all my swim stuff for a planned trip with the Merfolk. It was such a perfect idea!

My work retreat was nice - it involved ice cream and putt putt golf on the world's longest, most boring putt putt golf course. I did get a hole in one on the second green! It was really nice to see my coworkers in person, without masks. And, my new Assistant Director came - she seems great! At hole 5000 or so I was done, and made the excuse of traffic to leave.

It was such a nice day I was worried that the pond would be a madhouse, but it was actually fine. Parking was easy and I changed into my suit in the car with little problem. I haven't been to Walden Pond in years because it's such a traffic jam on nice days - wow, I've been missing out! It's such a nice place to swim - no boats, deep enough that the fishes are far away, and spring fed. The water is much cleared than the Mystic Lakes. 

I swam for a whole hour, and even better, something just clicked and I swam so much better than normal! I got up to 100 strokes (50 breaths) two times!! I was able to get into a place that was a little meditative,  and just relax and swim. I think maybe it was the aerobic fitness that was holding me back, and now I'm improving. At one point this other open water swimmer was close to me and she was like "isn't this the best?" And I was like "yes it is." And then I felt so cool because I had a chat in the middle of Walden Pond, and the other swimmer considered me an open water swimmer too. Which I guess I am!!

According to my fitbit I went a little over a mile in an hour, which I think is pretty slow. But, whatever - I swam a mile. I never thought that would be a thing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment