Sunday, May 8, 2022

Mt. Monadnock with New Hiking Poles!

I could not get my hiking poles to open - I really liked those poles so was sad to have to retire them. But then I got my new poles, and I have to say they made me happy! I got the black diamond shock control poles for women. The "for women" part only means that they are shorter and a little lighter, and they are a pretty blue. That works for me! Since I just got them, of course I had to take them out for a spin.

I was trying to decide where to go, and was thinking of Chocora, but the trail reviews said there is still snow on the top and it's a 2.5 hour drive to the trail I wanted to take. So, I decided on Monadnock instead - it's only an hour and a half and, although it's got really nice views, it's actually not that long a hike. It's no joke though, either. 

Since it is closer, I slept in until 9, and then sat around drinking coffee deciding if I wanted to go. Finally, I was like "I'm doing it!" and I was so glad that I did - it was a really nice hike. My one requirement for Monadnock is not going up the white dot and down the white cross. I thought about the different routes and decided to do Halfway House to While Arrow, which I thought I hadn't done before (I had, but that was OK, it's still a good one.) I started my hike at 12:12, it was sunny and cool and no bugs yet. I got these new patagonia hiking tights that were awesome! So glad I got them - they are thicker on the butt for sliding :) Anyhow, the trail starts out really gradual for the first mile/mile and a half, it's a really nice stroll though the woods. Then it goes up pretty steady for the rest of the hike. Towards the top there's a lot of rock scrambling and places where you need your hands, so I had to put my shiny new poles away. I got to the top in about an hour and a half, so a pretty good pace. It was crowded up top, but not too bad - not like it will be in summer. I sat and ate for a while, but it was so windy up top that I decided to descend a little to finish eating. I discovered a new trail snack - dill pickles! They are salty and crunchy and delicious. And, they aren't full of calories. Must remember for future trips.

The way down was slower than the way up to start. My left knee was really sore - I guess I have to get back into doing the PT exercises that I find so boring. Once I got down a bit I could use my new poles, and that made it a lot easier. I actually passed a few people on this hike, but one was a family with a crying kid who looked like he was about 3, and another was two women who had very new looking packs that were way too full for a day hike. The last mile or so out the bottom of my foot was really sore, but other than that it was just lovely - a nice second hike of the season. And the poles are definitely a success!



No comments:

Post a Comment