Friday, March 13, 2020

Hot Yoga

Because of the coronavirus everything is closing. All the good yoga studios are shutting down, and I had to go to a hot yoga studio for class today. Man, I forgot just how hot hot yoga is. It was HOT. For part of the class I thought I might pass out. I could feel my heart beating, and I was sweating like a pig. Just as I was thinking I couldn't stand up anymore, we moved to the lying down part - I actually did all of the poses except for the last one :)  I thought lying down would be easier, but it seems that heat sinks there, it was so HOT on the floor. And, I just kept looking at my watch. With 20 minutes left I had to leave for 5 minutes to breathe, cool down, and get some water. Then I went back in and finished - I was so happy when it was done. After I drank a 28 oz gatorade to make sure I don't get sick. All in all, not a success.

Work announced that all students would have to leave campus by the end of the day Tuesday, unless they have some kind of waiver. They announced it yesterday, and today was so sad, especially for the seniors because they don't know if they will get back to campus. Today in our office we had a small graduation ceremony for our group of senior work/study and volunteer folks. They all get their graduation gowns at the start of the year, so they wore them, and we lined up in the hall and played pomp and circumstance and clapped for them. Then we had this small ceremony where we played a recording of the president's speech from last year, and everyone cried a lot. It was sweet and sad and happy at the same time. After, I wanted to go take a nap.

Being alive during a global pandemic is weird and surreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment