Monday, July 2, 2018

YMCA

I decided that I had to do something for exercise, and I still can't lift weights without it hurting my tendon, so I decided on swimming as an aerobic exercise that doesn't hurt anything.  Of course, I can't swim very well, so I need lessons, which has entailed a lot of angst figuring out where.  Last week I went to a conference and ate like a pig, so I knew I had to do something.  I decided on the Y because I can literally see it out of my office window, so no excuses, and it's like 1/3 the cost of crossfit.  I can take private swim classes and still pay about the same as I was paying for crossfit.

Today was my first day as a member of the Y.  And I did my first spin class!  I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was actually fun.  I mean, less fun that eating pie, but not so horrible.  I didn't want to kill myself, so I started my bike at level 5, and moved up to level 10 max.  I'm pretty sure tomorrow I won't be able to walk.

My conference was in DC, and it was pretty good!  One of the speakers was a former acting surgeon general, and he talked about being on the front lines on the ebola crisis, with pictures of the hospitals there.  He showed where people got suited up to go care for the patients, and some of the surroundings - security was pretty tight there, with 8 foot high fences that you couldn't get out of. Anyhow, some of the workers there built a tall chair so that you could see over the fence, to Africa, as a way to keep hope alive. He's an MD, and has 2 daughters who are premed, and it was interesting to hear him talk about her experiences from the dad's side, and also his experiences, following his dreams (he had an advisor who told him he was ruining his career by doing an MPH after medical school instead of going right into residency, but he turned out OK).

I got to visit America's Medical School, and instead of a tour of the sim lab, they gave us a simulated battle scene with medical rescue.  It was pretty cool - there was (fake) firefighting, (fake) gushing blood, and screaming (fake) injured soldiers.

Still no final answer on the new director.  We interviewed three people, one was a disaster and absolutely not an option (but she was at the conference, awkward. Everywhere I turned, there she was.)  One was awesome and we want to hire him, but I don't know if he will take the job.  And one I thought was awful, but some people could like her.  I hope the guy takes it!

PS. Nothing from Harvard. Maybe next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment