Saturday, January 6, 2018

Happy New Year!

So things at work finally settled down.  They decided to offer me the position of Interim Director!  (After first offering it to my former vile boss, which sort of put me over the edge for a bit. Thankfully the woman turned it down. Though things were dicy.) January 2 was my first day as Interim Director, the new advisor started January 3.

Well, being me, on January 2, I was looking at the new advisor's desk and puzzling at how old it was - there was this one drawer that when I opened it had what looked like a typewriter table, like what they would have in Mad Men!  I was like, "no way, this isn't a typewriter desk!" and pulled on it. The spring released like a bat out of hell, came flying out, and caught my right ring finger, squishing it, fracturing the bone, and destroying the nail. There was all this blood, and I almost passed out.  I went back to my office suite and freaked out the other people who were in that day, and eventually went to the local urgent care for some glue and X-rays.  So yeah, Day 1 in charge, broke a finger and nearly passed out. I guess it can only improve?

I was going to go back to Crossfit on Jan 2, but I broke my finger. Jan 3 went OK (I confess I was kind of nerded out when the new advisor called me her supervisor). Then, Jan 4 there was a blizzard followed by record breaking cold (colder on Mt. Washington than Mars!)

OK, finally to the exercise!  Today I could no longer stand it and went climbing. It was tough given the broken finger, I climbed easy routes poorly. After climbing I ran a mile on the treadmill. I've been such a slug for like a month, it was killer!  I ran a 13 min mile and my IT band hurt after.  But, I did it!  After I went to the weight room and did some squats and deadlifts to see if I could. Squats = OK, Deadlifts = harder with the finger.  Will head back to crossfit sometime next week, not sure how much longer I will give the finger to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment