Monday, July 3, 2017

Mount Hale and The Slot on Cathedral Ledge North End

My plan for the long weekend was to head up to NH for some hiking, staying at my friend's place for Sunday night. I took today off because it's July 4 tomorrow, and this gave me a nice 4 day weekend, which I really needed. Last Friday I had to get my parking sticker renewed because although I did the on-line application 6 weeks ago it still hadn't been approved, and I really wanted my sticker!  It took them forever! While I was waiting, I came up with the brilliant idea to stop on the way up to my friends and hike Mt. Hale, which is really a silly hike, being 4.6 miles and having no view. I figured I could do that on Sunday and still have a nice Monday hike with a view. Ha! Just because a 4000 footer isn't 10 miles, doesn't make it easy. It's still a 4000 footer. I had a really hard time.

Since it was such a short hike, I started out late, leaving home at about 11. It took 3 hours to get there, and I started on the trail at 2:20. Right away it went up hill, which shouldn't have been a surprise, it was 2300 feet of elevation gain.  At .8 miles you have a brook crossing. I got to this point after 40 minutes, so I was doing OK at this point. It had been raining for about a week, and there had been a crazy rain storm the night before, so the water level at the first crossing was so high, and the water was moving so fast, I was scared! It was so sketchy, huge waterfall pretty soon after the crossing of the "if I get washed down into that I will be dead" sort. I took the picture below on the way down, after I crossed it the second time. I wound up taking my boots off and wading, the rocks were all wet and slick looking, so hopping seemed like a bad idea. The first crossing I decided half way across that I would have to take the boots off, which was super sketch because I was standing on a rock in the middle of all this, taking off my boots and socks and throwing them to the shore.
After the waterfall things got steeper and I got slower. I think it was crossfit, my calves were killing me and I was pooped. There was a second crossing that had a waterfall like this as well, but the fall after was even sooner after the crossing. Fortunately the rocks were better and I could get across, though it wasn't pretty.  There were four switchbacks, which are always a treat on a NH hike. And then more uphill, to the top which was just field with a pile of rocks and absolutely no view at all. And lots of bugs so it wasn't even nice to sit and eat for a few minutes. I had a power bar because I was pretty sure I needed more fuel, scowled at the top of the mountain, and headed down.

On the way down I had lots of Dark Trail Thoughts. I decided I was not climbing another 4000 footer tomorrow because Hale is one of the easier ones and it had nearly done me in. Therefore, I shouldn't go to my friends, I should just go home and sleep in my own bed and then spend the next two days on the couch and not talk to anyone and watch bad movies. I had one nice moment sitting by the rushing brook before taking off my boots. I knew I was close to finished, it was kind of nice there, and I decided I came all that way and a I should enjoy something from the hike. And then I crossed, took a few photos, and finished. 

In my car again I remembered that I made a strawberry rhubarb crisp for my friends, and if I didn't go there I would have to eat the whole thing. Plus, I could climb a smaller mountain that was maybe a little nicer, with a better view. And they have a new baby so it would be fun to see them and her. So, I let go of the trail thoughts and went, which of course I was glad I did.

This morning I was going to hike a smaller mountain, but they were going climbing and so I decided to go climbing with them instead. It was a really good choice! We took turns climbing, belaying and hanging with the baby. And, I did two climbs, one a 5.6 and one a 5.10b (the Slot)!  They wouldn't tell me what it was before I tried it, so I figured it was like a 5.10 - it was good that I didn't know, because it might have psyched me out. It was a crack climb without a ton of feet. I hadn't brought my climbing gear, so I had to borrow shoes and harness (super smelly, grungy shoes and a harness that was too small. Better not to think about those things). I really liked the borrowed shoes, though. They were LaSportives, the same kind AH wore to free solo El Cap. So, maybe they just have good karma? Anyhow, the feet didn't fit into the crack for most of the climb. There were a lot of spots without good footholds. I wasn't convinced that I would get even the first move, but I actually pretty much got all the way up! It took me forever, but whatever. After we had victory beer at the river. NH, live free or die, I do sometimes love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment