Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Winter Solstice in the Fells

Winter is coming! To celebrate the solstice I decided on the hike to the view point on Rock Circuit Trail. Of course, I started too late and wound up getting to the trail at 3:25 and so I only had enough time to get to the old MIT observatory. I think it would have taken another 5 minutes to get to the view point. Not far, but that's another 10 minutes, I didn't have my headlamp and, even if I did, I don't think it's a good idea to be in the fells alone after dark. As it was, I finished just as it was getting dark.

It was a good day for a walk in the woods! The weather was crisp and cool, but not too cold. I got to wear my non-winter boots and practice working with gravity. It's a lot easier when it's not a 4000 footer.

I took my car in earlier today. You never know when to believe them about what needs fixing. They told me I needed a new battery and tires, plus assorted other stuff. The tires were the most expensive thing, so I just got the other stuff, reasoning that since winter is coming, I do want a good battery. On the way home I compared my tire treads to a couple other cars and they do in fact look smaller. But, on the other hand, I remember driving a car until I could see the steel in the steel belted tires (in retrospect, not the wisest move.)  Sometimes it's hard being an adult.

Anyhow, 12 days of vacation now!!  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment