Monday, December 5, 2016

4000 Footer Fail

I had my first complete and utter fail with a 4000 footer yesterday. I wanted to do the Kinsmans, I was so good, got up at 5:30, out the door and on the road before 6, at the trail at 8 am. I got out of the car and looked at the snow and felt the wind, and was like "I'm not hiking 10 miles by myself in this, that would be stupid." The Kinsmans are right by Cannon, and I was prepared for this outcome. I drove over to Cannon, parked and had an equipment fail! One of my hiking poles wouldn't lock, so I only had one pole!  I got started hiking with my one pole. I was actually just fine for warmth, in fact I was starting to pull off layers. The trail got steep, there was snow (like 2-3 inches) and only two people had gone before me. I walked about 20 minutes. Just wasn't feeling it. I turned around, the was like "you can do it!" Went a little further, and turned around again. My legs were still wobbly from Saturday's crossfit, and I had been feeling headachy on Sat night. I should have just stayed in bed. I decided I would just drive to the Laconia outlets about an hour down and get some shopping in. But when I got there I didn't feel like stopping. I got home at 11:30 and took a 3 hour nap! Total bust. On the plus side, I did get to listen to 4 hours of Game of Thrones. And I didn't hurt myself.  I think the 4000 footers are over until spring.  But, there's still Mt. Major, Monadnock, and others....  It doesn't always have to be a 4000 footer.

Today I was still a bit shaken by my hiking fail yesterday. But, the WOD was all stuff that I don't hate, so I packed my gym bag, "just in case."  After work I was thinking about how sore my legs felt hiking yesterday, and how I am going climbing Wednesday, and want my arms to be fresh. And I decided not to go to Crossfit. But, I would just drive home in the way that was in that direction. 15 minutes later I found myself turning towards the box, and I was like, fine, guess I'll do it. Of course now I'm glad I did!

We started with deadlifts, 4 sets of 5, they were meant to all be at a heavy weight for you. I did 20 deadlifts at 125 pounds. It's lower than I usually do, but that's a lot of deadlifts. Plus, they were all at the heavy weight!

WOD: 21-18-15-12-9
Power snatch (I lifted 35 pounds)
Box jumps (as you must know, I stepped)
Kettle bell swings (I did the lightest weight)
my time 17 min 18 sec

Northeastern is changing the way that it does it's exercise rewards program starting in January. It's going to count steps differently, so that 7000 will no longer be the magic number. I wonder if this will inspire me to do more steps??

No comments:

Post a Comment