Monday, January 20, 2014

10K - ish

My goal for the day was to run 10 K, if it wasn't too cold out.  Winter is supposed to be back in full force tomorrow, and I know there's no way I can run 10 K on the treadmill, so today was my big chance.  It's about 37 degrees out, but a little breezy, and worse by the water.  I mapped things out on MapMyRun, and found a loop on the Charles that was pretty much exactly 10 K.  The plan was the third parking lot after the Elliot Bridge to the BU bridge and back.  I had forgotten that you can't get from the BU Bridge to the path by the Charles easily - there's a railroad track there that gets in the way. So, I looked at it for about 10 seconds, and then decided to go back and cross the next bridge.  Of course, the way the bend in the river was, that made it a little shorter.  I was thinking maybe going over the bridge a couple times would make up for it, but not quite.  BU Bridge is actually much shorter than Mass Ave and the Longfellow.  I bet it's only 100 Smoots or so, Mass Ave is 364 + an ear.

Everyone and their favorite cheetah was out running today.  I got passed by soooo many people, and I passed no one.  Except walkers.  I am still faster than all the walkers out there.  In the end I went about 6.1 miles or 9.8 K in 1 hour, 7 min and 54 sec.  I thought I was probably a little short and should run for another couple minutes, but I was back at the beginning and I was moving at tortoise pace, so I didn't see the point. It was a pretty slow run, about an 11 min mile for most of it.  But you gotta start somewhere on the longer runs.  I'm not gonna lie, I was a little annoyed with me for not quite making 10 K, and for going so slow, and for being pooped at the end.  But, I guess next time (whenever that is) will feel more triumphant.

I suspect the next time won't be for a while.  Bad weather is coming.  But, I have new snow shoes, so I'm kind of excited about it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment