Sunday, September 29, 2013

Fartlek

So I read about how these fartlek's can help you to run faster.  I decided to give it a try because #1 I really want to be able to write "fartlek" a lot in my blog and #2 I seem to have peeked in terms of speed - at a very slow pace.  It's beautiful out, and Sunday, so I went to the Charles to run.  I did the 3 mile plus a little bit route that's between Longfellow and Mass Ave bridges, and lets you run through the Hatchshell area on the Boston side.  There was a walk for Alzhimers today, lots of slow people walking, and I got caught in traffic at one point and had to walk up the connector to the Mass Ave Bridge.  Semi-legit walking, and I did stop my watch.

I did my first fartlek on the Longfellow, I felt pretty good running faster at first, but then really tired and glad to slow down.  The second one I did on the Boston side of the river by community sailing.  This one was shorter than the first.  Then I did a couple more between light poles on the Boston side.  By the time it was time to cross I was beat, and my right knee hurt.  I decided that was good enough for the first day of fartleks, and just tried to run the rest of the way back.  I really wanted to stop at 26 minutes, but decided to push it to 30.  Then I was almost at a bridge and so I pushed it a tiny bit more.  But then I really needed to walk.  I went about 31 1/2 minutes and ran about 3 miles, which is my usual speed, but I was definitely going faster for my bursts.  We'll see if it makes any difference - I'm going to try to incorporate them into my runs in the future.

My right knee is sore, I had to sit and ice it :(

No comments:

Post a Comment