Sunday, October 9, 2022

Pumpelly Cave aka Megalithia

Today I did a hike that I've always wanted to do! I've known for a long time about the Pumpelly Cave on Mt. Monadnock, but I've never known enough details to figure out how to get there. Last night I decided it was time to get into it, and figure out the secret. It took a lot of reading blogs and searching on Google Earth, but I finally found it! Once I found it, I stuck a pin in it on Google Maps, downloaded it so it would be accessible offline, and went to sleep.

I was so excited for the hike, because it was going to be a real adventure! The bottom of Monadnock is pretty gentle, so I was able to make good time for the first bit until I hit the point of bushwhacking. After I turned off the trail, I headed up, keeping my phone out so I could make sure I was getting closer to the dot. Mostly it was just trees and such to get through, but there were a few rock faces to climb - I was glad that I climb (or, did climb) because there were some points that I needed that skill. From my splits, it's clear that the bushwhacking was slow going. One rock really didn't have any holds and was covered in moss, so I went up a tree. 

As I got close the the point I found a bunch of logs lying on the ground, covered with a tarp. Ready for repairs? I knew I must be close. I walked around a corner and there it was! I was so excited to make it!! The front door is super heavy, I wouldn't want to have to open it from inside. I threw it back and went in. It's such a man-cave - there's a fireplace, stone shelves and a chair, several windows. The Park Services have cleaned it out, so all that was inside was a sign that said "Congratulations, you've found Pumpelly Cave" and told you not to leave graffiti, food, or have a fire in the fireplace. There was no log to sign or read. I walked around and felt satisfied with myself, and a lot of admiration for the guys who made the man-cave - it must have been hard to haul all the stuff up!

It was a beautiful day, so I went outside and sat next to the roof and ate a cheese sandwich on challah, grapes, and a stoofenwaffle (my newest trail treat, which I really enjoy). I spent about a half hour there, just enjoying the view and feeling triumphant. I heard some voices approaching, and decided it was time for me to hit the road anyhow, so I got up and pulled out my phone to figure out how to bushwhack further up. I passed two guys in the woods - one of them said that he had spent like 12 years looking for the cave with a buddy, and had finally found it with his son. He was bringing some of his hiking friend's ashes there. 

After, I went up to the top, because I had already done much of the elevation gain and figured I might as well summit (picture of the view is from the summit). It was a beautiful day and so the top was covered with people. It was also cold and windy, and so I just tagged it and when down lower to eat a second cheese sandwich. It's peak foliage season, and the view was beautiful. I could also see that it was really stormy in the White Mountains -I had been thinking about going there, but after reading the weather report I made the smart choice not to. 

The way down was uneventful - steep for the first half and then a walk in the woods for the second half. I was so glad to get to my car, and that it was only one and a half hours to get home. All and all, a good hike, and super exciting to finally find the cave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment