Monday, October 10, 2022

Kittens!

A friend of mine has been fostering puppies for several months now. They drive them up from Texas in a big van, and they have to be picked up outside of MA, because for some reason it's illegal to bring animals here. She doesn't have a car, so I drive on puppy runs. This time they were short on fosters, and there was a woman who has 6 kids who was taking 7 kittens. For some stupid reason I decided that I would like to help, and foster 2 kitties.

The kittens are adorable. But, my cats do not like them. I knew they wouldn't when I offered to foster them, and for sure they didn't. They had to go in the bathroom to start. The first night I had 3 hissing cats/kittens, and one that was just curious. But, I only have 3 rooms, so they couldn't all be separated. In a fit of desperation, I messaged a friend, who wound up fostering one of the kittens for 3 days, which was a huge help!

I've got a system now, where the kitten's home base is the bathroom, but I have it set up nice for them, with a kitty bed and some blankets for them to sleep on. The cat's home base is my bedroom. During the day I let the kittens into the main room so they can explore, play, watch birds, etc. At night, I let the cats into the main room - they seem to check out their territory and feel stressed about the intruders. The two groups of two get along, with the kittens playing together and the cats sitting in the bed and mostly ignoring each other (as they do in normal times). But the cats and kittens don't intersect or meet, except when one accidentally gets out. 

I have to say that it is kind of fun having the kittens. They are both cuddlebugs, love to play, and provide a lot of entertainment for me. They are going to have to go, because my place is way too small for so many cats. On the days when I only had one cat (Joey), I snuck him into work so that he wouldn't be lonely all day - most of my coworkers discovered he was there, and loved coming to say hi. One even snuck her kids into work, and they played with him all afternoon. I don't think I can get away with that again, so they will be staying home.

One of the kittens is white with patches of color, and I realized yesterday that when he stands a certain way it looks like he has a heart on his bum. He's shy about it, though, and it was hard to get a good pic. I hope they find a nice place to go, and they need to be gone soon!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment