Saturday, October 29, 2022

Not the best week ever

This week was really difficult. It turned out that one of the kittens had a parasite, and I had to fight with the rescue to get them to pay for the trip to the vet. They were like "we will just send you the meds," but they didn't know what was wrong with him, and they also didn't send me any meds. Finally I just took him to the vet because he clearly needed to go. The vet gave me some meds that cleared up what turned out to be giardia, but then he caught a cold from the other kitty, and his eye was swollen half shut and oozing puss. So, I just took him back to the vet, because I had waited too long the first time and I wasn't going to do that again. They refused to pay for it because "if every foster went to the vet for anything, we wouldn't exist"! I was so annoyed, because he had a fever and was really sick. I demanded then that they find him a new place right away, which thankfully they did. So last night I decided it was time for the kittens to go, and I went on a mini road trip to drop them off. 

Joey went to his forever home in NH, where he has a new kitty sibling, mom, dad and boy who looked like he was about 10 or so and was super excited about him. Their house was full of books and pictures of their family - it looked like they maybe had a daughter as well, who wasn't home. They seemed like they were going to be a nice family for him.

Then I took Patch to another foster in Fitchburg. I felt really bad about sending him away when he was so sick, but I just couldn't take care of him any more without the help of the rescue. It turned out it was the best place for him! The woman there was so nice! She has 3 dogs and two other cats, and a son who it sounds like was about 8-9 who loves cats. So, Patch was going to stay in the sons room until he was on the mend. She also has a really good friend who's a vet and can take care of Patch. I cried when I dropped him off, and for the entire drive home. Maybe I'm not really the fostering kind, but it was so intense when Patch was sick.

The reason that I wanted to have them leave was that my cat Tigger was hiding under the bed and not eating. I started noticing that her food dish still had food in it earlier in the week, and just thought the Cats were upset, but then last night there was clearly something wrong. And I felt so bad for spending so much attention on Patch and ignoring my kitties. So, today I had to take Tigger to the vet. I thought she had giardia (which probably she does, the vet gave me meds for her). But also he said that she was skinny and dehydrated, and he did some blood tests that found that her sugar levels were high. She may have diabetes. When he told me about the symptoms of diabetes it made sense to me - she gets really hangry during the day and hisses at Rufus and me until I feed her. The vet said that Tigger was his best patient today - I was like "wow, she must really be feeling sick, because she's usually a pretty fiesty gal at the vet." Anyhow, they did some more expensive blood work and we will see what happens. In the meantime I have to rub a cream on her ear to stimulate her appetite. So weird. They gave me a bag labeled "Tigger (they go bounce)" with her meds; so cute!

On Thursday this week I woke with the worst migraine I've had in a few of years. It was like 7 am and the urgent cares don't open for another hour or so. I called my sister, but she didn't answer, and then I didn't think I could wait for her to come anyhow, so I called an ambulance.  They took me to Cambridge Hospital, which I haven't been to before. I have to say they were so nice there - everyone from the doctor to the PA, nurses, even the janitor was nice! And, they gave me three warm blankets when I was cold. Their equipment looks ancient, and the toilet in the bathroom looked like it was from the 1950's, but I'm still thinking of switching to a doctor there. They were super fast, kind, and my headache was gone in like 45 minutes. Anyhow, that added to the week, with me feeling like crap all day on Thursday. Thursday afternoon Patch and I took a nap together on the couch. He was so cuddly! I miss the kittens, but it's so nice to be back cuddling with my cats.

I would foster again, but not while I have Tigger and Rufus, and definitely not with that Rescue!

No comments:

Post a Comment