Saturday, April 11, 2020

38 Mile Bike Ride

Since I've logged about 5 miles on my bike since Africa, I decided that the perfect activity for today would be biking from home to Concord for a socially distant walk with friends, and then biking back.  My butt is killing me! It was a nice day out, though a little windy, and I was feeling so cooped up and out of sorts, I knew I needed some good exercise. When my friends suggested Concord, I thought it was perfect! One end of the bike path is about a mile from me, and the other end is about a mile from Concord Center, although I wound up taking the roads for a little bit of the ride since it's shorter and there are fewer cars out.

I had forgotten how uphill it is on the way there, my legs were killing me and I was so tired. Fortunately the frozen yogurt place in Lexington was still opened, and I got a peach mango yogurt with a ton of toppings. They let you choose your own there, which I'm pretty sure isn't sanitary, but it was sooo good! I sat on the common and ate and people watched. A lot of people are now wearing masks outside - it's a big variety - some surgical masks, some home made, some even seem to have the fancy masks that are supposed to be just for healthcare providers. I brought my hot pepper mask, but didn't wear it outside, just for in stores.

We walked for a few miles in Concord and didn't talk about coronavirus, which was really good. I'm so tired of talking about it all the time. The way back was more downhill, which I greatly appreciated.

We had a virtual seder this past week. It was actually kind of fun, though not as nice as the real thing. The one thing that was nice was that my sister, niece, and my niece's kids came - my niece's second seder I think and the first for her kids. We did it at 4:30 because my brother is still in London and I had to make matzo balls for the first time! The first batch I made were pretty cannon ball like - you could probably bring down the Spanish armada, but the second batch was really good! Maybe I packed the first batch too much?  My mom was supposed to join us by phone, but she left her phone off the hook by accident and missed it. We recorded it for her, but maybe we will wait to send it - it took her two days to find her phone, I'm not sure about her opening a video.

My brother timed us, and the "half hour seder" does take 65 minutes, and I read one full page because I was hungry :)  I was able to find a lot of passover foods, but only found horseradish sauce. My sister gave me some thankfully, I can't imagine gefilte fish without horseradish! I will close with my favorite gefilte fish haiku from haikus for Jews:
Lacking fins and a tail
The gefilte fish swims upstream
With great difficulty

No comments:

Post a Comment