Monday, November 13, 2017

Kripalu

I was a little hesitant about Kripalu because I went there once before and didn't love it, but this time was very different. The last time I went by myself, stayed in a dorm, and didn't do a program. This time I went with a friend, stayed in a tiny room with her (she could literally brush her teeth from bed) and did a program, and it was much better!  I got a little overwhelmed on the last day by the sheer volume of people, especially the line to get coffee in the morning, but the program was really amazing. And, I totally got my Zen back, which was worth the cost.

The program session was on qigong and tai chi - I've tried tai chi before and felt that it was an exercise for old people. I think I just didn't have the right teacher (or, I'm now old. One of the two.) The instructor was awesome, and we broke up into smaller groups with TA's, and the TA for my group was amazing - if he was in Boston instead of NY I would totally take classes with him.

While I was there I also did three yoga classes, their more intense vinyasa class, which was pretty intense, but also really good, an intermediate class that was chill and really great stretchiness, and yoga dance that was weird but I enjoyed letting my hippie freak flag fly.  At one point the instructor had us shout at another person "you are amazing" and then we each responded "I am amazing" which was out of my comfort zone (and the comfort zone of the guy who I was yelling at). But OK, I can be a hippie.

There was also a lot of meditating.  Here's what I came out with:
  • I am needed at my job for the next year. 
  • I could do more, and maybe I should
  • I should really think about what that would be
  • and then I should try to pursue it
  • or not
The or not is about pursuing change. But at least I should consider it. Because now I know where my ceiling is here, and I don't think I'm OK with it.  

And I feel super good that my boss feels like I should be director of the program because I really respect her opinion.

I never mentioned that my meeting with Elizabeth W was awesome!  She took pics after the speeches. I didn't know what I would say to her, but out of my mouth came "You're awesome, I love you."  And she patted me on the back like "there there, you shouldn't drink so much."  (I did have a few, not gonna lie).  My friend who I went with said "you're my hero, can I have a hug?" and she actually got a hug, which I thought was bold because I would be afraid Warren would squeeze the stuffing out of me!  Here's me with the senator and mayor:


No comments:

Post a Comment