Saturday, February 20, 2016

Gap Mountain to Mt Monadnock

Last night I impulsively added a meet-up hike for today. There were only four people signed up, which is rare for a meet up hike, and it sounded nice. Plus, there was another Cindy hiking, when does that happen?

It was a tough one. There were three guys (one of whom I learned is a trail runner, to give perspective) and the other Cindy was fast, and turned around after Gap Mountain. So, I was in my Crossfit position of last. I don't think I ate enough before starting the hike, and I ran out of steam at about 12:30 (maybe half way into the hike.) We had to stop early for lunch because I was starving :(

Other than that, though, it was a really nice hike. It was a beautiful day out, like 45 degrees and sunny! There was some snow/ice on the ground, but nothing too serious. The other people were really cool. One even worked at the Market Basket, and talked about the Battle of the Arties. So interesting!

According to Google Earth the hike was 7.46 miles, 2428 feet of elevation gain and 5 hrs 15 min. According to my fitbit it was about 9 miles and about 4 hrs and 30 minutes of actual hiking. One of the hikers made the point that when you look at a map it's flat, but when you are hiking you are covering more distance than the flat miles, due to altitude gain. So, fitbit may have an account of actual distance when you count how many more steps you are taking going up than you would if you were walking on a flat surface. I like that idea.

My legs and feet are killing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment