Sunday, November 16, 2014

"Running Steps" at Harvard Stadium

I decided to try the ultimate stair master - running steps at Harvard Stadium!  I put it in quotes because I actually walked, and I only walked sections 1-8, there are 37.  But by the end of eight my legs were so jello like that I wasn't sure that I would be able to walk down, and I was seeing spots out of the corner of my left eye, so I decided that it didn't count as quitting to stop, more as "setting a baseline."  When I started running I wasn't sure that I would be able to run a full 30 minutes, and now I can do a 10K without it killing me, so perhaps the same is true for steps?

The nice thing about "running steps" was that it only took 15 minutes, less time than an actual run.  So, it's something I could do on the way home from work.  Also, my Achilles' Tendon has been sore, and this seemed lower impact than regular running.  I mean, for the people who were actually running the things it looked like amazing and kind of high impact exercise, but that's a little while off for me.

I think this would be really good Machu Pichhu prep.  Also, it should help with the size of my thighs (which are much larger than I like).  I know this is a running blog, but I've decided that since the steps are so crazy hard and aerobic, they can count as a part as well.  My blog, my rules :)

The ultimate in humblingness of the experience was there was an adaptive soccer game on the field, and there was someone there in a wheelchair who had no legs but was playing soccer.  Made me feel like a huge woos for quitting at section 8, but I'll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment