Monday, January 29, 2024

Two swims in one day

I've been wanting to figure out how long it takes me to swim 200 meters and how many strokes it takes for me to do a 25 meter length. I was going to go swim at the Y yesterday, but it was snowy out and I didn't want to drive (OK, it was mostly rainy out, but it could have turned to snow!) So, today I decided was the day for pool practice. 

The Somerville Y's pool is only 20 meters, so I wound up going to the one in Woburn. I did 3 200-meter swims, some drills, and some just swimming back and forth. In total I was in the water for about 35 minutes. It turns out that it takes me about 4 minutes and 30 seconds to swim 200 meters, which is within the time restrictions for memphremagog, but also pretty much the slowest time that anyone has posted in the last couple of years. I can live with that, though. Of course, swimming in cold water is slower because you have to catch your breath. But hopefully I can do it in less than 5 minutes. It took me about 25 strokes for each length, so about a stroke a meter (or a meter a stroke?) When I really tried I could do it in fewer strokes, but not that many fewer.

When I got home people were going to the lake, so I decided that I would also test my "hat" for the hat competition. I'm going to be a cat wearing the "cone of shame," and I wanted to make sure I could swim in it. And I can. It's not remarkably comfortable, bit it is only 25 meters, so it shouldn't be too bad - I swam that far today and it was fine.

It's been a little warmer out, and the water was at 37 today. Because I had already been for a swim and was trying my hat, I only stayed in for a couple minutes - it was so chill! I got out and I was cold, but once I put my hands and feet in some hot water I was fine. I was barely even shivery! 

Tomorrow I have my event with the president of the college. I hope it goes OK, I really admire her, but she's one intimidating woman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment