Monday, January 22, 2024

Ski Day 3 - A Good Day!

Maybe I just need to accept that the first ski days of the season are going to be a refresher, and a bit rough. Today I went to crotched mountain again, and it was a good day! I had the day off from work because I worked yesterday - the same event that we had a year ago, when I got stuck in the snow. Today was sunny and cold - perfect for skiing.

Since it was really cold overnight, I decided it was OK to sleep in a little and get to the mountain around 10 when it would be a tad warmer. I layered up with 2 pairs of smartwool long underware on top and bottom, my fleece lined tights, my cute ski socks with the pagodas on them, ski jacket, heated gloves and of course my helmet and goggles. In the end only my nose was sticking out. Still, two people asked me if I was wearing regular tights and if I was cold! I was not.

I started the day with a run on the green that has the slow lift, and it felt good. I decided I should get to the top and the scary lift early - maybe it would be less scary with fewer people on the mountain? It wasn't. I had a few good runs where I did OK, and one where I could hear snow boarders behind me and it made me nervous. And then I went back to the slow lift again for several runs. I feel like I'm getting much better at knowing where my body is as I go down the trail, and making sure that I'm leaning forward enough so that my weight is well distributed. I'm also feeling better about switching edges and going a little faster. But, my ability to go fast is hampered by my fear of crashing into other people, or falling down. In the end, I think I did the scary trail about a half dozen times.

I found one little path that goes through the trees that was pretty flat and well covered with snow, and so I skied it - so fun! But only because it was so easy. After the path in the trees, though, it wasn't groomed and I fell. As always, it wasn't a big deal except I struggled to get my ski back on. 

I stayed until about 2:30, by which time I was getting tired and wanting to get home before dark. Definitely felt zen on a few runs, and enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment