Sunday, January 7, 2024

Below 40

The water finally went below 40 at the lake - it was really cold! I think it was about 39. I went for an afternoon swim yesterday. We had a storm brewing, so there was no sun. And, I forgot my favorite goggles, so I had to wear the ones designed for sunny weather. Mistake! I couldn't see anything and swam in even less of a straight line than normal. I did do my usual Memphe prep - I walked into the lake from the beach to my waist and then just went for it with swimming. It was so cold! The hardest things were how cold my hands were, and breathing in the colder water. For the first 75 yards I really had to breathe slowly, which also meant swimming slowly (even more slowly than usual). I just kept telling myself to breathe through it, and I did. 

When I got out, it felt like I'd only been swimming for about 5 minutes, which is something that seems to happen a lot - it seems like I'm in for about 1/3 of actual time. I didn't finish my last lap fully because I was so cold, couldn't see, and one of my goggles was leaking. I thought that it was a lot less than the 1/4 mile I hoped to do, but because I was not swimming in a straight line it seems that I did. According to my fitbit I swam about .23 mile in 17 minutes, which isn't bad given the cold.

The after drop was pretty brutal, but I added a scarf around my neck and that sealed the heat in - def going to keep up with that. After 20 minutes I was feeling fine. Good training swim!

No comments:

Post a Comment