Saturday, April 8, 2023

Women's Parkour Day

Today we had a women's parkour workshop, which hadn't happened since my first weeks of parkour. Super fun, I hope we can have another one soon! We started with two groups, and I actually went in the more advanced one, and was glad I did! Our first session we played world chase tag. I was kind of nervous that I would lose every match, but actually I did fine. Apparently women's world chase tag is a thing now - it's just like regular tag, but you run around a scaffolding. When we were playing the chasers wound up using the scaff more than the evaders, but I can see where, if you are fast, using it would help. 

For our next session we used an indoor scaffolding at the rock climbing gym. First we talked about our fears, then we faced them. The scaff is pretty high, and over a cement floor, so also pretty sketch. I stood on this platform that was about 10 feet up and very small. I let go with my arms, but did not want to stand up straight. Small steps.

After lunch we got to chose sessions - I went with a jumping one on the indoor scaff, and was super excited that I worked up to doing this cat splat with a bounce back to a tire. By the end of the session, I felt really confident with it, and felt like I was jumping and getting some good air. There was another spot that I could do it without holding on with my hands, just jumping, landing with two feet, and bouncing back. The thing was that I was landing on a wood board instead of cement, and it was at an angle instead of being a wall. 

The final session was practice with using our core to assist in our practice. We did balances and vaults. Then we had a chance to play around. I was goofing around, feeling all good about myself, and then I fell on my butt from like 4 feet up - ouch. A reminder that humility is key in parkour. 

We ended with dinner and a movie. Now my entire body, especially my butt, hurts. Definitely a good workout and a successful parkour day!

No comments:

Post a Comment