Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Kayak on Upper Charles River

I had to go into work today (boo), but I balanced it out by going for a post-work kayak in my oru. It's the second time I've gone after work on the Charles, and I really liked it! The first time I went on the Charles really near work - it looks like there's a small stream that connects the college to the river, and I wanted to check it out from the river direction. I put the kayak in at a park that's so close to school, and went downstream to the connector river. It may have been possible to go through, but it was a little sketchy, and I decided that I didn't want to chance it and hurt my beautiful kayak.

Today I went from a little further upstream, just past a small dam. I looked at the dam at first and was a little nervous, because there's really nothing to prevent a kayak from going over it. But, I took careful notice of where I was, so I could turn to the boat launch on the way back. 

I knew I was going upstream when I started, but I didn't realize how much until I turned back. It took me about 55 minutes until I turned around, and about 25 minutes to return. Wow! It was so easy with the current.

Even though I was in south natick, there was a ton of wild life! On the way up I saw a swan sitting on its nest, a goose on its nest, and a great blue heron just chilling out. Right when I turned around I saw a deer that looked like it was coming for a drink. It was standing completely still, just waiting for me to leave. And then I saw a beaver swimming across the river! At first I wasn't sure if it was a beaver or muskrat, but then it slapped its tail on the water and dove under. I was like "wut?" Then it popped up a little upstream and slapped its tail so hard that I screamed a little. I looked on google, and it said that they do that to scare away predators. Very effective beavers!

Last week I got to see my reader again! We went for lunch at one of my favorite Thai places and browsed some cute stores. It was fun!!

PS According to google, I went about 3 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment