Wednesday, January 11, 2023

50 Days of Dipping!

Yesterday I hit 50 days of dips! I did a quick swim yesterday because I had family zoom and yoga in the evening, so I went at lunch and did it memphamagog style, which is to say that I got in from the shore, swam to a little past the dock, and then swam back. I didn't wear booties or gloves, just a swim suit, swim cap, and goggles. My right goggle leaked, of course. I definitely felt breathless when I got past the dock because I wasn't breathing enough! I usually do stroke/stroke breathe, but because it was so cold and I wanted to get out fast, I did stroke/stroke/stroke/stroke/stroke/stroke which is wayyyy too many strokes without breathing. By the time I was 2/3 of the way there, I was like "I must be almost there," and stopped to look, and then just breast stroked the rest of the way. So, I think the secret will be to do the first strokes breathing normal, and then increase strokes to breaths as I move along in the race. I definitely want to go to a 25 meter pool to practice (the Y is 20 meters).

Today I just didn't feel like going for a dip - I had a late meeting and would have had to go after dark, and I just wasn't into it. I decided that 50 days in a row is sufficient, and I can skip a day. Tomorrow, hopefully back to dipping! It will be interesting to see what happens in the spring, when I can no longer do cold swimming in the same way - will my body notice? 

No comments:

Post a Comment