Monday, October 28, 2019

I Bouldered!

Now that I've finished my 4000 footers in NH, I need a new fitness goal, and I've decided to work on my climbing. Over the last several years I think I've been slowly de-proving in my abilities, due to two factors. #1 I've put on a lot of weight (though I have lost 10 pounds, thankfully!, but I am still about 25 pounds overweight, and #2 I've gotten sloppy. Loosing weight is a slow and somewhat unreliable process. But, I can get less lazy and sloppy with my climbing. And, I think the best way to do that is bouldering. So, I am resolved.

I've done bouldering 3 times so far. The first time I was going climbing with Greta, and I got there early and she was caught in traffic. I think I was there at the same time as the kids climbing team which wasn't really a good time. I did 2 V0's and left. The second time I got there early for climbing with the old people's metope (which I've decided to do more regularly) and did five excellent attempts  and a few crappy ones. I did a couple of V0's all the way up - one where I had to down climb and then drop down which was scary, and one where I climbed over the top and went down the stairs, which made me feel cool, but was also a little scary because it was super high. And, I did a V1, not quite to the top.  Then, Sunday I got to climbing a little early and did some bouldering for about 20 minutes and did mostly V0's. I tried some overhung ones, but didn't get far. But, later in the climbing day, on top rope, I felt like I was doing better.

I'm going to work on quiet feet, straight arms, and no death grip. And breathing.

My current boss went out on maternity leave today. I had my first meeting with the interim person last Wednesday. I told her about what I do, because really she has no idea. At the end, she was like, "next week I want to talk to you about how I can help you work more with other people." And I was like WTF are you talking about?  I don't think it's going well so far.

PS. Forgot to mention that falling from the top or during a climb is super scary (or maybe just reiterating) and that I have bruises all over my knees which I think are from dropping down to the mat. Will have to work on falling too.

No comments:

Post a Comment