Thursday, August 10, 2017

Zanzibar day 3

Today we went on a tour of a spice farm and to the beach. It was so amazing! And really hot. The drive there was about 20 min in a really packed mini bus. We passed some of the poor areas of the island, one restaurant that was pretty funny was called The Return of Bob. The spice farm is a small one that must be just for tourists because it's all different spices planted together, so we could see all sorts of plants - vanilla, cinnamon, termerrick, cumin, chocolate (not a spice, but still there), chives, pepper, and all kinds of oranges. I bought some fresh spices from a man who calls himself Mr. Cheepcheep, some soap (that mostly because I felt bad for the soap selling guy, he looked so hopeful), and we had a really tasty lunch at someone's house that I don't thing will kill me.

After, we went to this cave where they kept newly captured slaves in the 1800's. Zanzibar was big in the slave trade. It was really sad, a small place that was full of people, no food and very little water.

The best part was the beach! It was so beautiful and warm like a bathtub. Definitely not New England! We our first wildlife, monkeys. And, there was a school field trip so there were a ton of super cute kids there. Andy tried to teach them how to throw a frisbee further and Maura and I just hung in the water. Tomorrow hopefully snorkeling! (We're going somewhere called Prison Island where there are turtles and perhaps we snorkel. It's hard to know exactly what you are signing up for, but today was awesome, I'm sure tomorrow will be too.)

I've been feeling all this guilt about the fact that the guy who works here at the airbnb is here all day and just watching TV. But it sounds like he has a friend over now and they are making dinner. I feel better. All the poverty is sad, and yet people don't look sad, they just look like people. Still, it's a good reality check about work. Most people here could only dream of having my problems.

I woke up at 4:30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. Prob due to the 12 hrs of sleep the night before. Now I'm pooped!

No comments:

Post a Comment