Thursday, August 10, 2017

First two days on Zanzibar!

Tanzania Day 1
I'm finally in bed at the air bnb. Day one was super long and kind of stressful. I'm thinking about having a migraine just a little, but I think it's going to go way because I'm in Africa!!

I did very well not being anxious on the plane. I mostly slept and watched some tv but it took so long to get here! And then the left our luggage in Kenya, which was sad. I have no change of clothes, no shorts, no deodorant.... Also,  the airbnb I'm staying at is like impossible to find. I need to leave a train of bread crumbs!

At the airport everyone had their yellow card for yellow fever and, of course I didn't. The customs woman moved me to the side and I was nervous - she asked "no yellow card?" And I said "my doctor said I didn't need it." And then she let me through! Wow, who knew it would be so easy. The visa was easy too, only the luggage was hard...

But it's nice and authentic in Stonetown I'm so tired. Must sleep.

Tanzania Day 2
So this isn't exercise at all, but I decided to add it to my blog because, why not? As my post from the first day notes, it took forever to get here, and even longer for my luggage. My suitcase came on the plane after me. My brother and Maura are staying at this amazing hotel and their stuff was delivered first thing, but mine took forever due to me not being at a hotel. There's a guy here who helps the guests (who I feel bad for because it seems he can never leave) but he doesn't speak much English so we used google translator. When he typed things in for me it said stuff like "monkeys hijacked your luggage?" So, not perfect. But it worked because I got the suitcase in the end.

Yesterday I figured out how to find the place. It's actually quite easy, just two turns, but walking through the town at first it didn't seem that way, the streets are too narrow for cars and are a maze! I had cheese and date crepes for lunch. We went shopping in the markets and I bought spices and a bag to carry my change of clothes for yoga. We went swimming in the pool at Andy and Maura's hotel (it's so nice there, they have a balcony with a view of the Indian Ocean and there's a swimming pool that's beautiful. There's also a pool table.) Then Ethiopian food for dinner. 

Zanzibar is majority Muslim. It's super hot but only men are wearing shorts, I saw one female tourist in shorts. Even if you wear a dress, it seems like you should cover your legs. Everyone is so friendly- "jambo" means hello. Unfortunately there are a lot of people who have a brother or cousin with a tour boat that they will tell you about after jambo. They are really persistent, they'll follow you for several blocks. So it's hard to know if you should engage - are they a butterfly or mosquito? The call to prayer is really loud from my place. It happens at like 5:30 am, but still I kind of like it. It adds to the other worldliness of it here. It's so exotic!

No comments:

Post a Comment