Saturday, August 20, 2016

Ran two miles!

I have to put it out there that I ran two miles, because I really wanted to stop and walk for a bit, but I kept reminding myself how happy I would be when I finished, and could blog about how I ran two miles!  And, I am pretty psyched about it right now. It was hard.

This week I have my very first classic migraine aura. Not an exciting first. I was at work chatting with my boss and it suddenly felt like someone was squeezing my head like a tube of toothpaste. My ear got all fuzzy and everything felt weird. When the squeezing stopped, there were all these zig zag neon lights, it was a little like looking through a kaleidoscope. I thought it was probably a migraine, or maybe a stroke, so I was trying to act like nothing was happening, and at the same time not freak out. I called my doctor and set up an appointment and snuck out of work a couple hours early while my boss was in a staff meeting. She didn't say anything about it, so hopefully she didn't notice.

My doctor wasn't there, so I saw one of her colleagues who is on the admissions committee at Harvard (along with 160 other people!) He said that they don't care about MCAT scores, though I don't totally believe that one - he doesn't look at them, but I bet someone does. Anyhow, he practically clapped his hands in delight at my aura and how classic it was. Somehow that was actually reassuring because I don't think he would have done that if I was having a stroke. Anyhow, he had someone give me a shot of toroidal (which hurt more then the headache - it wasn't actually that bad a migraine) and I came home. The next day I felt like I had been hit by a truck, and then yesterday I wasn't feeling so great either; which is to say I only did crossfit once this week. But I think it's justified.

WOD:
800 meter run
20 back squats (I lifted 55 pounds)
20 pull ups (I didn't them without bands, and didn't get all the way up)
800 meter run
15 back squats
15 pull ups
800 meter run
10 back squats
10 pull ups
my time 26 min exactly!

We ran 800 meters in the warm up, which is what brought the running to two miles. My first 800 meters took about 4:45, which is a 9:30 min mile! The second one was about 5:15 I think. And the third one I had given up counting.

This coming week I'm on vacation and I'm going to do a hut-to-hut presi traverse!  I'm pretty excited. I'm headed up to NH tomorrow, staying at one of the lodges, so I can take the 9 am hikers shuttle to Falling Waters trail, and hike up to Madison. I'm staying at Madison Spring hut the first night, Lake of the Clouds the second night, and Mitzpah the third. From Mitzpah it's a short walk back to the lodge and my car. Total distance of the hike is 22 ish miles, with 7 4000 footers! (If you are thinking this is a good time to rob the house, don't. Really, there's nothing to take of value except two punk cats.)

No comments:

Post a Comment