Monday, August 11, 2014

Multipitch Climber :)

I didn't get to run this weekend, but I did do my first multi pitch climbing ever!  Three of them.  I went up to New Hampshire and climbed at Whitehorse and Cathedral.  The first day we did 3 pitches x 2 on Whitehorse.  Pretty easy climbing, but that was a good thing, because we were way the heck up there.  The second day we were at Cathedral and did 4 pitches, much harder climbing and it seemed way higher.  I was a little freaked out by the end, and happy to get off the cliff!  The ropes that my friends use for multi pitch are thinner than the ones I'm used to (they hold 5000 pounds, but it's not a logic thing.)  Anyhow, I fell at the beginning of the Cathedral climb and it didn't kill me, but that didn't help when I was almost 500 feet up.  The first night we were sitting on my friend's porch having a glass of wine, and I was just looking around, watching the bears walking by...  And then suddenly I was like, "there are bears walking by!" Mama and two little cubs, so cute!  She gave us a little sniff, but wasn't really very worried.

Today it was back to running.  After the climbing, my calves were killing me!  So, it was a pretty slow day - at least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  I started out trying to push myself, but it was tough going.  I had to slow down a little.  In the end I wound up going about 2.72 miles in 30 minutes, which is over an 11 minute mile.

I went a new route, from Weight Watchers (because I just keep getting fatter, and I gotta cut it out), through Cambridge to the Charles River, up the river, past the Galleria Mall, and then back.  It's a pretty cute part of Cambridge, older houses, but not too big.  While I was running back this little girl saw me and started running too.  She was very cute, and probably faster than me.

This coming Saturday I have my first meeting with Team in Training and we find out the training schedule for the race!  The meeting is Saturday at 9 am in Natick.  I hope this isn't what the training will be like.  Not crazy about running at 9 am on Saturdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment