Saturday, July 26, 2014

AT

Last weekend I went backpacking  - I did three 4000 footers, Mt. Tom, Mt. Field and Mt. Willey.  The hike wound up on the AT, and then we camped at an AT shelter area at Ethan Pond Campsite.  The hike was about 2 miles more of the AT, plus I got to check off sleeping at an AT campground on my bucket list.  We met a few through hikers, one woman said she didn't start hiking until she was 50, and now she's through hiking!

After eating, the other woman in the group that I was hiking with (it was a Meetup group) and I went to rinse off at the pond.  We took off our shirts because, let's face it, if you don't, you're still gross after rinsing off.  But we were wearing sports bra's.  Well, these four really hot young guys came along like 2 minutes later, and the looks on their faces were priceless!  They were like "half naked women!  I love this campground!!"  (Sports bras). I'm pretty sure I'm old enough to be their mothers, so I was actually pretty psyched with their reaction.  I mean, they could have been like "aaah, my eyes!"

Anyhow, my pack was 26 pounds with the water in it, and my legs, especially my thighs, were killing my this week!!  They started feeling better around Thursday.  So, I didn't run all week, and of course I didn't run over the weekend, but the 11+ mile hike over the big mountains with the 26 lb pack counts in my opinion.

Today I had to go for a run!  It's really hot out, but I'm going to see Shakespeare in the park tonight when it will be cooler, so I decided to suck it up and go outside.  I did the little run by my house, 5K in 32 min and 23 sec, which is about a 10.5 min mile.  I have to confess, though, I walked up my hill.  I was just done.  I took my pulse when I got inside and it was about 190, which confirmed that walking up the hill was a good idea.

I'm considering this the first run of my official training.  More on that later….


No comments:

Post a Comment