Monday, May 13, 2024

Swim across Walden

I did my first swim across Walden this year today, and it was lovely! It was a beautiful sunny day today, though a little windy. After work I went to the garden store and got two tomato plants, some peppers and rosemary and thyme (resisting the urge to get parsley and sage) and planted them in my garden. I only got the small sungold tomatoes this year to keep down on the rats, but decided that two of them was reasonable. Over the weekend I put in two tomatillos and some potatoes. I think there's space for one more tomatillo and maybe a little of something else - I have to decide what though.

I brought my swim gear with me in the hopes that I could push myself to go for a swim. I'm signed up for the land shark on June 2, which is less than 3 weeks away, and I haven't done a long swim for a while. I was a little concerned about my ability to do the swim, so I decided to go swim across Walden as a first warm up. It was a really nice swim!

When I mapped out the swim it looks like it was about .9 mile, so I swam across a shorter part. According to my fitbit I was swimming for 46 minutes, so that would be a little over 50 min pace for a mile. The water is about 61 degrees, though there were a few warm spots and a couple really cold ones. When I got out I was glad that I had my dryrobe, though I don't think I will need it much longer this season.

I've been really working on the pull on my swimming so that I can move faster. It's really hard, though. I think I have to go more often to work on my arm strength. I've also been working on my breathing - turning my head just enough so only half of my mouth comes out of the water. I'm doing much better with it. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and 80, but of course I have a silly busy day, so not sure I will be able to get to the lake, but I hope so! 

No comments:

Post a Comment