Sunday, February 25, 2024

Race Day Cold

Just came back from the swim fest which didn't go at all like I wanted because I was sick and couldn't finish my long swim, or be a stripper. We drove up on Thursday and I noticed I was a little grumpy and sneezy, and that my throat hurt, but I didn't really think much of it. On Friday I did my hat swim in the morning (feeling even grumpier), and then came the big swim. It was so disappointing.  I got in the water and it was cold but fine. I started with the swim, and had so much adrenalin that I started off too fast and didn't pace myself. I actually beat the other woman I was swimming with for the first 25 meters. But then as I turned back my chest was pounding and I felt like I was going to throw up. And, I just didn't feel right, so I had to get out. 

I went to the warming hut and was even grumpier. And then warmed up, and went and sat outside. I didn't get what my deal was, but then in the middle of the night I woke up and was so congested, I was like "aaah, that was the problem." I spent the second day of the festival by myself at the airbnb, reading a book and feeling like crap. Today I went and supported the team, and the came home. After all that training, it was such a bummer. Well, I wasn't sure what I was going to have to shoot for next year, but I guess it will be a Redemption Swim for the 200.

Things I did well:

  1. Practice and acclimatize - I really was ready for the event
  2. Improve my swim technique
Things to change for next year:
  1. I didn't pace my anxiety and got way too in my head. With a long-ish race like this, it's a while from race start to my start.
  2. Worry about things in my power, not things that I can't control. There was an email two weeks before the race saying that we had to finish in 4 minutes, which I knew I couldn't do. I let that get to my head, when in reality there was nothing I could do about it. And, they did let people finish in over 5 minutes.
  3. Carpooling - it was really frustrating not having a car. I think I would have just gone home if I did, but as it was I was stuck and had to rely on everyone else for everything (like cold meds). Also, it was a lot of together time.
  4. I may need to wear a mask for the week before the race so I don't get sick! That really sucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment