Saturday, February 17, 2024

Less than a Week to Go!

One week from now I'll be done with my memphremagog swims for the year! Things are starting to get real. We got an email a week ago that they want you to finish the 200 within 4 minutes and will pull you if you over 3 minutes at 150. Which seems a little silly because if you can make it to 150 then why can't you make it to 200? I'm hoping that they just did it to scare people into dropping out if they know they can't do the race in 4 minutes. Well, I'm not falling for it. I know I can't do it in 4 minutes, but I'm going to make them pull me. Or just let me finish. You have to have a spotter watching you during the 200, and mine is a second grade teacher - she's going to use her teacher voice if they tell her I have to come out. That's my strategy.

I've been doing a good amount of practice. Yesterday I swam a quarter mile in water that was about 38 degrees I think. It was pretty cold. My goggles leaked so I had to keep stopping to fix them for the first several minutes, so it was a pretty slow swim. I did finally get the goggles to work, but in the process gave myself a little bit of a black eye. I think I was in the water for about 13-14 minutes. I was pretty cold when I finished and had to do my penguin walk out, where I shuffle a little as a try not to fall over. After, I went to hot yoga which felt really nice.

Tomorrow we are doing a little going away event, with a pre-swim, so I'll be trying again with the 200. Probably my last go at it before the big race! I have to say, I'll be a little bit happy to stop with the swimming, it's SO HARD in the cold. I may just dip until we are over 40 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment