Monday, October 18, 2021

Mt. Osceola

I took the day off today because I wanted a long weekend and I just didn't want to drive into work three days a week. I've become such a whiner about it, but I don't like having to commute anymore. So, instead of the commute, I drove up to New Hampshire for a hike! Yes, there's an irony there, but it's different when you decide to do it. I was thinking about Welch-Dickey because it's such a nice hike, but then I realized that I'd done it in April. So, I thought about Osceola since it's in the same geographic area, the road to it will close soon, and it's also a nice hike. Well, it was a nice hike, but maybe I shouldn't have gone for the 4000 footer - the top was in the clouds!

As I got to Waterville Valley I realized there wasn't going to be a view and thought about switching to Welch-Dickey since they have a number of viewpoints. But, then I realized I didn't know how to get to the trailhead for that one, and I don't get cell service in the mountains. Maybe the clouds would clear? I thought. They didn't. 
Anyhow, it's a nice hike, not too long, and there are switchbacks. I love switchbacks. The trail was covered in wet leaves, which made it a bit slippery for the way down, but it was really nice on the way up. About half way up I started to feel hungry - fortunately, with switchbacks you can walk and eat, which is what I did. As I got higher there were a few nice views, but then I could see I was getting into the clouds, and then it even snowed a bit (like, a half a dozen chunks of snow). At the top, the trail was really muddy, and I had fun rock hopping across. I brought a cheese sandwich on sourdough bread and found a nook out of the wind to eat it. Even out of the wind it was really cold - I was glad I had opted for my athleta long pants, my new lulu top, another top, and big puff, as well as gloves. I sat for 15 minutes and then headed down. 
On the way down, things weren't as good. My feet were killing me! I think it may actually have been knee and leg related, probably because I stopped doing the PT exercises. My knees have been bothering me, and so I was hiking more cautiously, which I think impacted my feet. Also, I went to take out my hiking poles and couldn't get them to open - that was a huge bummer. I carried them the whole way, for no purpose. I decided I need to start doing the exercises again before another hike. And to figure out how to open my hiking poles. There's no reason to be so tired at the end of a 6 mile hike (interestingly, all trails says it's 5.77 miles, but the maps say 6.2)

Because it was a foggy Monday I was able to park in the parking lot. I finished, actually got to change in an enclosed space instead of my car (there's an outhouse kind of deal there), cleaned up, and headed home. I looked at my watch when I left the parking lot and it was 10:30. I got to the top right at 12:30, so it was almost exactly 2 hours up. I guess I did stop to get out a snack, and briefly to chat with a few people. I think I was faster on the way up than down - I'm not that disappointed in my pace, to be honest. All and all, a better day than if I had gone to work!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment