Monday, October 11, 2021

Jennings Peak

I was going to do Sandwich Dome, which is 1.1 miles past Jennings Peak, but then on the way up I realized that the best view was from Jennings Peak and so there was no real reason to go all the way to Sandwich Dome. So, I didn't, and I was so glad I made that choice! Sandwich Dome is like 3992 feet - it it was 8 or 10 feet taller, the trail would be mobbed. As it was, I saw about 15 people all day.

Jennings Peak (and maybe Sandwich Dome) is definitely on my list of go-to hikes for the future. It was a super nice hike, some slabby parts, some really pretty woods, nothing too strenuous on the uphill - though the uphill part was all uphill without much break, and no crowds. It's a circle hike, which I did counter clockwise, and the way down was super steep at first, but then a really gradual and relaxing walk next to a pretty stream. 
I left home a little late, around 7:30, but it's only an hour and 45 minutes to get there. I had a new book to listen to, the trees are starting to change color so it's really nice out, and so the ride up flew by. I got to the trailhead and started out at 9:45. I thought I had started the GPS, but apparently I hadn't. I stopped after about an hour to see where I was (I was a little annoyed with myself for looking because I knew I had a ways to go, but then I was like "see me, good thing I looked"). Anyhow, I magically start my hike half way up the trail according to alltrails, but in real life I walked up there. 
It only took like 2 hours of walking to get to the top of Jennings - it's like 3.8 miles, so that seems reasonable. I stopped at a viewpoint and ate some grapes. At the top there was a nice dog, and 4 people, of course - until that point I had only seen 3 other people. While I was up there, 4 more people came along. It's always crowded at the summit. I had a bagel with cheese sandwich, an apple, and some pistachios. And then I took some pictures before heading down.
My feet were killing me on the way down. I spent a lot of time thinking about why my feet and legs hurt so much. In part I think because in parkour yesterday we did an endurance exercise where we alternated 5 squats on a rail with butt kickers one way across the basketball court (the short way, thankfully) and jogging back, for 10 minutes. Ouch. When I was almost back there was a stream crossing and my feet were killing me, so I took off my shoes to walk across it - so cold. And then I took my inserts out of the shoes, which helped. I think I need new orthotics

Anyhow, I got down and changed in the parking lot (couldn't do that at a 4000 footer) and then got in the car to go home. On the way back there was so much traffic, it took me forever (well, maybe 2 and a half hours). Fortunately I still had enough juice in my phone so I could listen to my book. At the rest stop where I used to get a hamburger I got a PB&J. I have to admit the bread was both stale and mushy, but it still tasted delicious! I got home and my legs were killing me so badly I took a hot bath and foam rolled. We'll see if it helps.

Definitely a hike I would do again. Not as superb as Welch-Dickey, but it can be a little more rigorous, and it's so much more peaceful. It wasn't the hardest hike for sure, though maybe giving that my last two hikes have been Washington and Isolation, I shouldn't judge. Good bang for the buck. Two thumbs up.


No comments:

Post a Comment