Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Shinjury

I did parkour twice today! First I practiced with my friend Anne at lunch and then I went to the Wed evening class for the first time.

I had two big successes practicing with Anne. First, I walked the length of the railing in both directions. I've walked it a number of times in one direction, but I always freak out going the other way - something about the long fall being to the left instead of the right. Anyhow, today I finally did it! It took forever and I had to sing to myself a little, but I made it. Second, I actually did some lazy vaults! I found a place on the railing where there is a cement step, so the rail is just the right height, channeled my inner cloud, committed to the moment, and went for it. And I was successful. The first one was pretty sloppy, but by the fourth or so, I felt OK with them. Lots of work still to go, but the first step is the hardest.

This evening I went to the class in Harvard Square, which I had been thinking about doing for a while, but you have to run, which of course I hate. And I was worried that I would be last. It turns out that parkour class running is very different from crossfit running in that no one leaves you behind, and it's really more jogging. I mean, the coaches are jogging for our benefit - I'm sure they run when they train. Anyhow, I was pretty psyched with myself because I was able to keep up and didn't want to throw up at all (though I did pull my mask down). I think we ran about a half mile. At one point we had to stop at a light (which I loved) and to let some folks catch up (which I also loved) and we hung on a rail while waiting. Oh parkour. We were doing a jumping exercise and I completely misjudged the distance and hit my shins on a really hard cement ledge and it really hurt, and there was blood on my spandits. I think my legs are going to be killing me tomorrow. But I will survive. 

Today I had a new cleaner come and clean my place. I spent the weekend tidying so she could clean. So now it's so clean in here! Like, it's barely my place, it's so clean! I'm going to have her back every other week I think. It's kind of a luxury, but also it's good to support women-owned businesses, and she seemed really nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment