Monday, September 14, 2020

Belknap and Gunstock

 

I'm actually writing well after the fact, I forgot to blog about my Mt. Belknap hike, which I realized was a mistake, because it was an awesome hike, one that I would definitely do again. I went on Saturday of Labor Day weekend - I can't believe that Labor Day has passed - and it was a great improvement over Owl's Head! I was thinking about different routes for the hike, and thought about trying to park in the same little lot as last time, but it was so small, I figured it would be full. Looking at a map, I realized that Gunstock ski resort wasn't far away at all, and of course they would have a ton of parking, so I planned my hike around that. There were a million people and a bunch of tents when I got there. It could have been a ski sale - maybe should have checked it out, but I just got new skis last year, and I don't think I need cross country. 

Anyhow, the plan was to do Belknap, which is the tallest mountain in the Belknaps, and then Gunstock. I had a cheese sandwich, pringles, and some nuts, and GPS with all trails. I did get a little carried away with my GPS, and went up this snowshoe trail, that I soon realized wasn't what I wanted to be on. Eventually I bushwacked to the actual trail. I managed to make a flat even walk in the woods into something difficult - good job me.

Some of the hike covered the same area as Klem and Mack, but then I turned off at a different trail to head up. I really liked the trail I took up, I took Birch to East Gilford which was the trail with a lot of elevation gain - E Gilford was not too steep, and was really slabby with opened sections and a few nice view points. I sat at one of the view spots and ate, and then went to the top and climbed the fire tower. While I was in the fire tower, these three guys came up, driving remote operated trucks. I was both impressed that their trucks made it all the way up, and annoyed at all the noise. Anyhow, I then took Blue trail to saddle to the top of Gunstock, where I sat at the top of the ski resort and finished my food. 


From there, I backtracked on saddle and headed down. There was a sign near the top of the ski mountain that said 1.4 miles, 1 hour 30 minutes walk, which I thought was a little excessive, but it messed with my head a little. In the end, it took me about 50 minutes, so the sign was wrong. 

According to alltrails, I did 7.37 miles with 1821 feet elevation gain and an average pace of 33:43 mph. Total hiking time was 5 hrs 2 min, with 4 hr 9 minutes of moving time, the rest was sandwich eating time! It gives you splits, which is nice - you can see where my first mile I was silly and got off trail and was pokey. And, you can see the uphill bits where things got slower. I'm looking forward to doing a longer/harder hike with alltrails to see what my splits look like!
Monday of Labor Day weekend I took the ferry to Provincetown. A friend of mine was staying there for a week and I'd never really been there. It was so nice! We walked around the cute shops, and then I went for a swim in the ocean (which was cold but not freezing). After, I walked on a jetty there, that's about a mile each way - it was a lot of fun, and very parkour. I was kind of dumb because I didn't bring water or a camera, but on the other hand, I wasn't distracted by getting the best photo. Definitely something to repeat, it was so nice, and taking the ferry made it very easy (except that I overslept and woke up at 8:10 for the 8:30 ferry - it was kind of a miracle that I made it). It would be really fun to walk out on the jetty and hang out on the beach for the day, there was really almost no one out there!







No comments:

Post a Comment