Saturday, September 26, 2020

Mt. Moosilauke

I realized that I haven't really done a 4000 footer this year, which is OK, because mountains don't always have to be 4000 footers, but the only one I was on was a bust. So, I wanted to at least get in one this year. I've been wanting to rehike Moosilauke because it was the first 4000 footer that I did solo, it's been several years, and I remember liking it. But, because of Covid the lodge that overlooks the mountain is closed, and so there's an extra walk to get in, so I couldn't decide if I wanted to do it. And then I decided, fuck it, I'm going. And, I'm glad I did! Even though I had to park 1.6 miles from the trailhead! 

Once again I got a late start (around 7:30), but decided that was OK because it's not the longest hike. It's 3.7 miles each way, and even though it's one of the higher 4000 footers, it's not the most elevation gain. I think it starts pretty far up the mountain, and it's one that is uphill for most of the hike. In the end, I did 2913 feet of elevation gain and 10.42 miles in 7 hrs and 7 minutes, but only 6 hrs and 9 minutes of that was moving time. 

It's a really nice hike, except near the top there are A LOT of stairs that are pretty exhausting, and since I didn't get started until around 11 ish, I was really hungry. Which you can see from my splits, that I slowed down (or, that I need to take it slower from the start.) Anyhow, on the way up, a lot of people passed me, but I was in a bit of a bubble on the way down, and almost no one did. 

I wound up doing an out and back hike this time - I thought about the loop because I had liked it a lot the last time, but also the last time I was doing crossfit (and it better shape) and didn't have to hike an extra 3.2 miles, so I didn't. And, I really liked it this way too! The walk down was really nice, there were some steep spots where I had a hard time, but mostly stairs and rocks. My feet were really sore, and I was tired, but would definitely do again that way :)

At the top, it was a bit of a zoo, there were so many people up there. And, there were even people going up as I was heading back down. These two women asked me to take their picture, which I did, and then they offered to take one of me. I think it was a bit windy...
It's not quite prime foliage, but we are getting close, and it was so pretty up in NH. The trees are beautiful and there was a mist coming over the mountains. I was kind of tired and thinking about not going for a hike, but so glad I did, definitely a good way to spend the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment