Sunday, September 20, 2020

Holt, Mowglis and Manning trails

 
I couldn't decide what to do today, and was sitting on the couch drinking coffee and thinking that it was perfect hiking weather, and where should I go? When I saw a facebook posting about the Holt Trail up Carrigan, with a couple pictures, and of course decided to go! Glad I did, it was super fun, though hard on the feet.

The trail starts out pretty chill and relaxing, it's even got a long stretch that's on an old logging road. As I was walking, this guy wearing loose jeans and trainers passed me. First I though "I'm so slow, newbie guy passed me." Then I imagined if the egg salad sandwich people had been there, because they are pretty "cotton=death." Anyway, when I got to the sign above, he was standing looking at it and asked if I was going up that way. I was pretty impressed with myself that I was, and a little nervous. He decided to follow me for a little bit, but then realized that it wasn't going to work and turned back. So, I was feeling pretty good about myself when I got to the first really hard climby part - a nice slabby crack. Of course, at that moment a group of three 20 somethings came along and this guy practically climbed over me (it was pretty rude, actually) and then offered me a hand to help me up. I gave him a look. Seriously. 
Anyhow, there were a few really sketchy parts on the hike, most weren't really that bad, though there was one point at the top that was actually probably about a 5.2 climb, no rope, bit of a fall, pretty far up.  I didn't take a picture because I didn't want to look down. It may not have been a long fall, not sure. I was thinking about going back, but decided I would maybe get a photo the next time. (The photo above and below were fun and not too hard - there were good holds and the rock was pretty grippy and had nice holds and foot spots)
Once I got to the top, it was really nice to sit and eat a sandwich - I had to buy one at the rest area, so turkey and cheese on white bread and cheese pringles. Even though the sun was out, it was pretty windy and I was kind of cold. I can't believe it's that time of year already.
After my sandwich and a short rest I went over to a second mountain called firescrew, which is a funny name for a mountain, but a very pleasant location. I sat up there and ate an apple and the last chips and looked at the fire tower on cardigan. I love the sign up there, it's so weathered. Reluctantly I had to head down since it gets dark around 7 now. And, I didn't write down directions to get back to the highway, so I was going to have to figure that out too - the lodge where the trail starts is about 20 minutes off the highway, on a dirt road. 
My pace on mile three was very slow, though I believe it's counting the time I was walking around up top looking for a warm spot. The way down was slower than the way up, which is a little lame. My excuse is that my foot was killing me by that time, and I was a little hobbly. I got new boots hoping that they would help my feet, but they clearly didn't (though they were quite nice with the treads and stickyness). Anyhow, that made me way slower - that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I got to the parking lot, changed my shoes, and was doing my post-hike things when I saw a car with NJ plates leaving. So, I threw everything in, jumped into my car, and followed it! And, I was right to do so (I think that's a definition of white privilege right there). It definitely seemed that the car was headed back to the highway. At one point it turned into an old church and I kept going, and then I was like "this doesn't seem right." And I went back and realized that NJ had passed a turn - and I went that way too! Anyhow, I'm obviously home, it worked and I need to write down the directions home before I leave.
Two thumbs up, but hard if you don't climb!




No comments:

Post a Comment