Friday, November 15, 2019

Dinos

I went to an athletics class at BKBX this evening. This one was mostly upper body with medicine balls, rings, and sleds (their sleds have wheels, which is super easy. And, when we did "wall balls" we didn't have to hit the wall, we just threw the ball up and caught it. I did 30, which seemed like a lot, but not in comparison with crossfit!)

I got there about forty five minutes early so I could boulder for a half hour. I can definitely do V0 (though there was one that was pretty overhung that I couldn't do, but I think that was part mental) and I can do V1, though sometimes it takes a few tries. There was a V1 that I projected that was super fun, the last move, though, was a jump (dyno) to a really good hold. It was really scary to think about doing the jump. I tried a couple times, sort of half heartedly. In class the teacher said that the were resetting next week, which is too bad because they're going to take it down.

In class, we did this exercise where you stood on one hold, grabbed another, and then jumped and tried to touch a dot on the wall. It was really fun, and I realized good practice for doing dinos. In the training beta podcast, this woman was talking about getting over fear by taking small, incremental steps that are just a little scary, but not terrifying - after a while these little steps help you to overcome  fear and can make a big difference. Which is to say that I think I'll try the dino exercise in the gym for a little while so that the next time I can finish a climb like this.

Anyhow, when climbing I focused on only moving my hands when both feet were on the wall, and on keeping the arm that was holding the wall straight. And it really made a difference! I also got on a V2, and the first move required that I turn my body so my hip was to the wall. So I did!  That was the only move I could do, but I felt good about it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment