Saturday, November 23, 2019

3.32 mile run and a V2!

On Thursday I went to BKBX for a Foundations class - it was a really good workout, and more aerobic than some of the others. I got there 45 minutes early so I could boulder, of course. They just changed the wall, so the V1 with the dino that I couldn't do was gone, but there's a new, cool, V1 in its place that I worked on for a bit and didn't get. There was also a V2 on a flat wall that was crimpy and I thought I could do, and I was able to flash the first try! I thought the V2 was way easier than some of the V1's.  I've been working on doing V0 and V1 on overhang, since those are climbs that I would usually not do at all. That's definitely a project!

Today we celebrated my mom's 90th birthday! 90. She's doing pretty well, she had been sick and kind of confused for a while, but she's much more aware now. As a present, we decided to give the gift of us - we hired a photographer to take pictures of the family for an hour. She was really good, and hopefully we will get awesome photos :)  After the photos, we ate so much - I had cheese, bread, fruit, onion rings, fries, half a flatbread pizza, and carrot cake for dessert. I'm still full, and it's 8:30 (we ate at like 2 pm). After I got home, I was feeling so gross, and I am out of points for class pass until tomorrow.

So, I decided to go for a run. I wasn't sure I would be up for it, but I actually ran my old 5K ish - I started by going uphill for some reason - maybe I wasn't sure I was going to make it, and the at the end I had to take a detour because there's a bridge that's out. According to map my run I ran 3.32 miles and according to my fitbit it took me 43 minutes, which is a 13 minute mile, which is pretty slow. But, I ran the whole time, with only 3 short stops when I had to wait to cross the street (which I quite enjoyed).  I was breathing pretty hard, but not dying. I did get cramps at about mile 1.5, so I had to slow down for a bit. But I kept going and was fine! I could have run longer, but I confess was glad to stop. I remember when I first started running and had to stop and walk. I'm pretty psyched that I'm in good enough shape that I could run for 43 minutes, even if it was pretty slow.

A few months ago I read this article in the Washington post by a woman who is face blind, describing her experience. There were some tests linked to the article, and a contact with someone who's doing a study. I was able to connect with the person at the Boston VA and do 2 of the 3 parts (the third part was an MRI, and I freaked out and couldn't do it). I talked to the researcher and he confirmed that yes, I have moderate prosopagnosia = face blindness. In fact, on a couple of the tests I had some of the lowest scores he had seen, even in people with prosopagnosia. It's a little bit validating - I can't recognize people who I've met before because I can't, not because I just need to try harder. And, it makes me a little sad, because trying harder won't make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment